Lung Cancer Symptoms
Lung cancer just like all the cancer show no early symptoms. These lung cancer symptoms can only be identified when a chest X-ray is performed for another reason. But every person is not same, there are some people who develop some symptoms. They are probably due to the effects of primary tumor, to effects of cancer, its spread to other parts of the body, hormonal disturbances or other disturbances.
Lung cancer symptoms may include for some and for some not as well, like coughing up blood, or rusty colored phlegm, weight loss, fatigue, or shortness of breath.
- A cough that never goes away or gets worse over time should definitely go and consult the doctor immediately.
- Coughing up blood occurs.
- Shortness of breath usually results from a blockage in part of the lung, collection of fluid around the lung, or the spread of tumor through the lungs.
- Repeated respiratory infections, can be bronchitis or pneumonia.
- Wheezing may signal blockage or inflammation in the lungs.
About Lung Cancer
The principle work of the lung as we all now is to exchange gases between the air we breath and the blood. Through the lung the carbon dioxide (CO2) is removed from the bloodstream and oxygen enters into the blood. The lung cancer can arise in any part of the lung it is not confined to one point. Expected lung cancers arise from the epithelial cells. these are the cells lining the larger and smaller airways. It may also arise from the pleura or rarely from the supporting tissues of the lung.
Lung cancer, in other terms known as lung carcinoma, can be classified on the terms of malignant lung tumor by uncontrolled cell growth in tissues of the lung. Just like all the other cancer lung cancer is also due the uncontrolled or abnormal growth of an individual cell. This growth can spread beyond the lung by the process of metastasis to whole part of an individual.
The cancer that starts from the lung are known as primary lung cancer and are characterized into the carcinomas. The 2 main types are: small- cell lung carcinoma and non-small-cell lung carcinoma. The above mentioned are some of the lung cancer symptoms. 85% of causes of lung cancer are nothing but the smoking and tobacco. Lung cancer and smoking often, but not always, go hand in hand.
What Are The Types Of Lung Cancer ?
As mentioned above lung cancer is broadly classified on the basis of microscopically appearance of the tumor cells namely small cell lung cancer and non small cell lung cancer.
Small cell lung cancer – is the most aggressive and the most rapidly growing of all the other types. This type can arise through cigarette smoking.
Non small cell lung cancer – it the most common type, it is further divided into 3 main types of cell found in tumor
- Adenocarcinoma – it comprise upto 30 % of the lung cancer. It can arise due to smoking like all other types but it can happen to the non smokers as well especially women. They arise in outer peripheral regions and can also spread to the lymph nodes and beyond. Individuals of this type have better prognosis.
- Squamous cell carcinoma – about 25-30% account for this type. It arises from the central chest area in the bronchi.
- Large cell carcinoma – also referred to as undifferentiated carcinoma. they account for only 10-15% of all the other types. They have the tendency to spread to lymph nodes.