Uncontrolled Body Hair In Women (Facial Or Other Parts) ?
According to science and including many other fields there can be many reasons of uncontrolled body hair in women. The uncontrolled or unwanted hair on women’s body or face can be due to the result of the condition called hirsutism or higher than normal levels of male hormones in body. All women may have the hair on the their body or face but they are not so visible as they are light and very fine.
We can clearly differentiate between the women suffering from the condition hirsutism or a normal women just by the texture of hair they have. As the women with this condition would have her hair’s texture usually coarse and dark. Hirsutism is basically the excess hair in areas where it’s typically seen in men, such as the face and lower abdomen. Only 5-10% of women may be affected my hirsutism. Excess body hair can also lead to feelings of self-consciousness.
Why Uncontrolled Body Hair In Women ?
As mentioned above as well women develop excessive body or facial hair due to higher than normal levels of androgens including the testosterone. Women do produce androgens but they level of androgen are very low, and just because of some medical issue women start producing too many androgens. That ultimately leads to male characteristics such as deep voice or male-pattern hair growth.
Causes Of Hirsutism:
- Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) – It accounts for about most of the hirsutism cases. Benign cysts that form in the ovaries can effect hormone production, leading to irregular menstrual cycle and decreased fertility. Some of the other problems that it may lead are pelvic pain, mood changes, sleep problems and fatigue.
- Adrenal Gland Disorders – Even the adrenal gland disorders may cause the imbalances in hormone and thus leading to the uncontrolled body hair in women as well. Some of the other problems can be adrenal cancer, Cushing’s disease, and even adrenal tumors. Other symptoms of adrenal gland disorders may include headache, high or low blood pressure, and high blood pressure.
uncontrolled body hair in women or facial hair growth can be also the result of taking any of the medicines mentioned like, Minoxidil stimulates hair growth, Anabolic Steroids are the synthetic variations of testosterone, Testosterone and Cyclosporine is an immunosuppresant drug that is often given before the organ transplants.
Once you go to the doctor he may get your blood check, by taking your Blood Sample and examining it. MRI or Ultrasound which scans your ovaries and adrenal glands for the presence of cysts or tumors.
Treatments For Unwanted Body Hair In Women :
- Cream : eflornithine is the cream prescribed by the doctor to reduce the facial hair growth. And it gets reduced after one or two months.
- Hair Removal : it is a nonmedical way to manage excessive or unwanted hair. Some of hair removal methods include waxing, shaving and depilatories(chemical foams), laser hair removal and electrolysis.
- Combination Birth Control Pills : Such pills have both estrogen and progesterone, helps shrink the cyst from PCOS. Estrogen may also help reduce excess hair.
- Antiandrogen Medications : Steroidal androgens and nonsteroidal antiandrogens can block androgen receptors and reduce androgen production from the adrenal glands, ovaries and pituitary glands.